I was injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver.
Can I recover monies from the tavern that served him?

Depending on the circumstances, it is sometimes possible to recover the money from the tavern that serves an intoxicated driver who then drives a vehicle and causes an accident and injuries. Tavern owners cannot merely serve unlimited quantities of alcohol to their patrons and turn a blind eye if that person becomes visibly intoxicated to a point where he or she looses the ability to make rational decisions. Instead, there is a duty to stop serving patrons at some point, although each case is highly fact-specific.

In fact, this duty is even written into the statutory law of Pennsylvania in what is called the "Dram Shop Act" which makes it unlawful for tavern owners to service persons who are "visibly intoxicated," minors, and certain other classes of people.

Only an attorney can advise you properly as to the extent and application of the laws in such cases. Attorney Doug Engelman has been practicing over 20 years and has wide and extensive experience in evaluating, settling, and trying such cases in court.

Disclaimer: - These opinions represent a generalization based upon Pennsylvania law as of Nov. 1, 2014. You should consult an attorney and discuss your specific circumstances before taking any action.

Click here to visit our Personal Injury section.


140 East Third Street, Williamsport (570) 323-3768
320 Market Street, Lewisburg (570) 522-0505
Northern Tier Pennsylvania (570) 673-4081
(800) 422-5396
Contact us today!