I was injured in a car accident that wasn't my fault.
Besides my medical bills and wage loss, how much can I recover for my pain and suffering?

If you are injured in a car accident and have signed for limited tort, you could substantially reduce the amount of money you will receive in a lawsuit against a negligent party. You will only be able to recover your medical expenses, wage loss, other "out of pocket"" expenses and will not be able to recover for pain and suffering. It is critically important that you not elect the limited tort option. The small savings is not worth the large reduction in a monetary settlement you could receive if you are injured through no fault of your own.

But if you have not elected the limited tort option and are "full tort," you have the right to recover money for your pain and suffering.

Every case is different because some people are very seriously injured and take a very long time to recover, while others receive comparatively less injuries or injuries which resolve quickly. Nonetheless, the money a person can receive for their pain and suffering can be very substantial. It is important that you have competent legal representation in order to maximize your recovery in such a case.

Attorney Doug Engelman has been practicing over 20 years and has wide and extensive experience in evaluating, settling and trying such cases in court.

Disclaimer: - These opinions represent a generalization based upon Pennsylvania law as of Nov. 1, 2014. You should consult an attorney and discuss your specific circumstances before taking any action.

Click here to visit our Personal Injury section.


140 East Third Street, Williamsport (570) 323-3768
320 Market Street, Lewisburg (570) 522-0505
Northern Tier Pennsylvania (570) 673-4081
(800) 422-5396
Contact us today!